* Network optimization commands work: use these to streamline & lock-down your Vista & 7 machines also.
netsh interface tcp set global congestion=ctcp
netsh interface tcp set global time=enabled
netsh interface tcp set global chimney=enabled
netsh interface ipv6 set privacy state=disable
netsh interface tcp set global ecn=enabled
netsh interface ipv6 6to4 set state state=disabled
netsh interface ipv6 isatap set state state=disabled
netsh interface ipv6 set teredo disable
fsutil behavior set memoryusage 2
* You can use a flash drive, CD/DVD, or \\machinename\c$ share from another PC to copy over files to the server.
* Hotfixes for Server 2008R2 work fine: copy over and run them from the command line.
* Trying to follow these instructions for disabling complex passwords, I went ahead & tried using Notepad2 replacement and was amused to find that it works.
* CCleaner, PeaZIP, and Firefox all installed & work: you can copy over working shortcuts from another system to the local user/Admin directory. CCleaner can be used to uninstall things.
* Google Chrome does not install: needs OpenGL. .NET 3.5SP1 won't load: says it has to be loaded as a Role. .NET 4 won't load: not supported.
* Tried copying over Hyper-V folder from the 2008 Server I'm using to manage it otherwise, but the MSC doesn't work: no mmc to run it with.
Suggested experiments: accessible shell; BOINC client testing