Thursday, November 10, 2011

fstab entries for btrfs on SSD

After much finagling, I have an uptime of 13 70 days regarding a Debian Linux setup that uses btrfs for root on an 16GB Kingston SSD. The problem is related to an older post I made, but different situation. Using my attempts to fix that problem, along with a working Debian kernel 3.0 (they don't exactly announce what subversion they use); I haven't had to reboot the damned thing in two weeks. Change your /etc/fstab file to use the following options for the drive...

noatime,rw,ssd,compress,thread_pool=32

In layman's terms, these options set the drive to not update access times, treat the drive as an SSD, compress files as able, and use 32 threads (vs 1-8, whatever default is) to coordinate read/write activities. The reviews on the 8GB Kingston SSD leave me to believe it chokes on writes that happen too often.

* Jan 6 2012: uptime has exceeded two months with this fix.

1 comment:

  1. It's like Christmas is happening right now in my head.

    ReplyDelete